Julia L. Tuverson is a former Public Defender for the County of Los Angeles who has handled thousands of criminal cases. As a trial attorney for the Public Defender’s Office, she worked in dozens of courtrooms throughout the County and represented defendants through all stages of criminal proceedings, from arraignment through trial. Julia handles a broad range of state court criminal matters, from domestic violence to burglary and sex crimes, and appears in court knowing the issues that matter. Julia also has experience filing and litigating restraining orders, and obtaining post-conviction relief including expungements and probation modifications.
Julia has also obtained many extraordinary results in civil and administrative forums, including student disciplinary actions, Title IX cases, and the college admission scandal. Julia has an extraordinary ability to master the facts and law, and she quickly identifies the issues in every case that matter most. Julia’s work with the firm includes the following examples:
- Prevailed many times in Title IX and student discipline cases, both during the administrative hearings and in Superior Court litigation seeking to overturn adverse findings of responsibility at the administrative phase;
- Successfully represented multiple students through university-led investigations stemming from the college admission scandal, obtaining findings of no responsibility for any Student Conduct Code violations for those clients;
- Obtained a dismissal on the eve of trial in a hotly contested domestic violence assault case that would have disqualified our client from pursuing her career goals;
- Drafted the winning brief in a $100 million False Claims Act case;
- Obtained a dismissal in a sexual battery case that would have ended our client’s professional career and required our client to register as a sex offender;
- Obtained a dismissal in a domestic violence case that would have triggered significant immigration consequences for our client;
- Prepared the defense in a multi-million-dollar criminal case involving allegations of mail fraud and wire fraud;
- Coordinated a multi-year defense of individuals under investigation in a healthcare fraud case involving massive loss allegations; and
- Managed an internal investigation of alleged misconduct for a prominent hotel chain in Los Angeles.